• Is it possible that if you’re moving to Lake Gaston in this decade for peace and serenity, you might have come to the wrong lake (depending which part of the lake you're on)? Have you seen the Food Lion parking lot on Friday afternoon? I do greatly empathize with those that have been around here for decades that seek to preserve the tranquil nature of this area, but it seems clear to me that this lake is quite popular, especially when the weather is warm. It’s not easy to put the genie back in the bottle.
• Apple announced last week it will build a new campus at Research Triangle Park, bringing thousands of jobs to the Triangle. Some of those people are going to need lake homes, you know. I’m just preparing everyone.
• I was standing in line behind a guy at the 7-Eleven in Bracey that was buying an 18-pack of Coors Light and four packs of Marlboros. I can only imagine how much more exciting his Thursday night was than mine.
• Lake Gaston should have a mascot similar to Brunswick County’s Stewie the Stewpot, which is truly an outstanding mascot and the perfect one for Brunswick County. You know you’re a big deal in Brunswick County when Stewie shows up to your event.
• I saw on the news a video of a robber in Durham that wasn’t even wearing a mask during his attempted heist. We are living in a time where you won’t even look suspicious by wearing a mask, yet somehow this guy couldn’t bother putting one on for the holdup? Are they even trying anymore?
• Have you ever watched the Kentucky Derby and not thought about how small the jockeys are? The average male horse racing jockey is 5-2, 113 pounds, according to information I found through a Google search.
• The NFL Draft happened over the weekend and we can all be optimistic about our teams for a few months before they disappoint us. My favorite name of the draft belongs to cornerback Rachad Wildgoose, whom the Buffalo Bills took out of Wisconsin. The Cincinnati Bengals earlier selected wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase from LSU. That means when the Bills and Bengals play, we could be in for one of the greatest photo ops in NFL history.
• On Sunday, Kyle Busch won the NASCAR at Kansas Buschy McBusch Race 400. Kevin Harvick, driving the Busch Beer car, finished second. If you don’t follow NASCAR, you’ll have to decide whether or not I’m making any of this up.
• Northampton County High School fell to Northside High of Beaufort County last week in the 1A football playoff semifinals. The state championships will be held this week on the campus of UNC and N.C. State. If you’ve never witnessed a state high school football title game, you’re missing out.
“Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At ‘em now, Give ‘em the gun!”
- “The U.S. Air Force”