The subdivision of Creekside Shores was the scene of a near fatal golf cart accident on March 30, when a golf cart overturned, landing on top of an 8-year-old girl. 

Roanoke-Wildwood Volunteer Fire Department, under the command of Chief Lorenzo Wilkins, arrived on scene to discover the victim unconscious, not breathing and with no pulse. 

Wilkins said he immediately began CPR and was assisted by other members of the fire department. The chief and other firefighters managed to get a faint pulse back, he said, and continued with life-saving measures until Warren County Rescue Squad arrived and started treating the victim, preparing her for transport to the parking lot of RWVFD, where she was flown by helicopter to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, N.C. 

Debate has arisen as to whether or not construction on Eaton’s Ferry Bridge caused a delay in the arrival of Warren County Rescue Squad to the scene.

“Thank God that I knew what I was doing, and my guys knew what they were doing, because if we did not know what we were doing, I don’t think we would have gotten the resolution that we got,” he said. “It is not on Warren County Rescue, because when they got there, they handled their business, too.”  

According to Steve Abbott, spokesman for the North Carolina Department of Transportation, the project staff met with various emergency responder groups last year before the Eaton’s Ferry Bridge project started to go over such a situation. Each group was given a phone number to call the company that is remotely handling the traffic lights at both ends of the bridge to go between red and green as each side takes its turn crossing. If responders are on an emergency run, they are supposed to call that number and say they are on their way, and lights on both sides are supposed to then go to red so the responder has a clear path through the work zone and won’t encounter any traffic on the bridge, and crews can make sure it is clear.

With regard to the March 30 incident, Phil Ricks, emergency services director for Halifax County, said that, as he understood it, the traffic signal on the bridge changed when Warren County Rescue got there, and there was little or no delay in them crossing.

Wilkins said he couldn’t commend his guys enough for the job they did.

“It was an unbelievable team effort saving that little girl’s life. Our training definitely paid off,” he said.